View Single Post
Old 12/19/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Talking New additions to my stomatopod family!

Just wanted to take a minute to share some pics of the latest additions to my mantis shrimp family!

This is Pike, a P. ciliata... I know it probably won't last, but I love that racing stripe down his back! He dug-in (literally) as soon as he hit the sand and I don't have any good tank shots of him yet. Good thing I have the next 3 weeks off!

I decided a ciliata was a must-have after seeing that CRAZY video of Brad's ciliata, Leonidas, pwning a minnow. There will be more of Pike after he gets a chance to settle in...

Next up is Elvira! She's a two-inch O. latirostris and she is so much more interactive than any of my other mantis!

I've been looking into the O.lats for a while now, hoping to find a mantis with the interactive nature of a peacock, but smaller. Voila!

She's not a bit shy, often coming out of her tunnel network to pose for the camera, to watch me work, or to snag a big pod. She loves to play peek-a-boo and goes on alert whenever I wiggle my fingers at her! Can't wait to see her put the smack down on a snail or crab!

My thanks to the guys at Stomatopod.com for lining these two critters up for me!

Ok, enough typing and sharing... back to playing peek-a-boo!
Greg