View Single Post
Old 12/19/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gregg@AMS
that reminds me of a good one.

i worked at an aquarium installation/service company which shall remain nameless. anyway, we "installed" a tank that had the filtration in the lower level. well, the boss wanted several return lines going into the tank, so he essentially manifolded right out of the pump, and split it into 8 separate 1/2" lines that went 16' vertical and about 35' horizontal. needless to say, the water trickled ino the tank.

so,we filled it up w/ fresh water and ran the system to do a leak test. then, the next day we added salt by mixing it at a high concentration and adding it to the sump. a few days later we took a few fish over, but before adding them, we test the salinity.

well, we dipped the hydrometer in and got no reading. did it again, same thing....0. we were like . well, i was walking by the front of the tank, and when i looked in, i saw a perfect lens serarating the freshwater from the salt. the flow going into the tank was so slow that the more dense hyper-saline just sank in the freshwaterr. it couln't even mix the water.
Halocline....awsome. there's an episode of Planet Earth on caves, and they have these divers swimming through a halocline, looks so trippy.