Thread: Marcorocks
View Single Post
Old 12/19/2007, 01:27 PM
Premium Member

A big plus to these rocks that people fail to see is that it is free of pests! (no bubble algae, no hair algae, no aptasia, no mantis shrimp, eunicid worms, gorilla crabs, manjanos, flatworms, redbugs, and my worst nemesis; colonial hydroids. Once these rocks are cured and placed in a system they will quickly become live rock, and can easily be seeeded with coralline algaes, and within a few months, will look like fabulous live rock.

People who have dealt with plagues of the above pests/hitchikers will agree. Some have gone so far as to take down their reefs, and 'cook' their live rock for up to 6 months in a dark, covered container to rid it of some of these problems. Basically turning their once diverse live rock into: marco rocks (with the exception being they already contain the denitrifying bacteria)

Personally, if I was to do it all over again, I would build my reef completely out of marco rocks, and simply seed it with coralline shavings from an older piece of live rock. JMHO.

What's green and fuzzy, has 4 legs, and if it fell out of a tree it could kill you?

A pool table.

4 out of 3 people have problems with fractions.