View Single Post
Old 12/18/2007, 01:00 PM
in the bathtub

Just some quick tidbits from Chapter Three SUMMARY OF ENVIRONMENTAL CONSEQUENCES of the EIS.

Quote:
DOE used conservative emissions estimates for the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) analysis
that the Alliance developed using the highest pollutant emission rates for various technology options
being considered for the FutureGen Project, as described in Section 2.5.1.1. The FutureGen Project’s
maximum emissions (including steady-state emissions and unplanned restart emissions) of air pollutants
are estimated to be:
• Sulfur dioxide (SO2) – 543 tons (493 metric tons) per year;
• Nitrogen dioxides (NO2) –758 tons (688 metric tons) per year;
• Particulate matter with a diameter of 10 micrometers or less (PM10) – 111 tons (101 metric tons)
per year;
• Carbon monoxide (CO) – 611 tons (554 metric tons) per year;
• Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) – 30 tons (27 metric tons); and
• Hg – 0.011 ton (0.010 metric ton) per year.

The annual maximum emissions of
SO2, NO2, PM10, and CO estimated for the FutureGen Project would exceed the Prevention of Significant
Deterioration (PSD) major source thresholds of 100 tons (91 metric tons) per year. The estimated annual
HAP and Hg emissions would be below the PSD major source threshold of 10 tons (9.1 metric tons) per
year.

The FutureGen Project would not result in an exceedance of the NAAQS at any of the alternative
sites. However, because of high ambient concentrations of PM2.5, several of the sites would approach the
PM2.5 24-hour standard, with Mattoon being the closest at 93 percent of the standard. Tuscola would be at
92 percent of the standard, Jewett would be at 86 percent, and Odessa would be at 59 percent. For the
annual PM2.5 standard, Jewett would be at 92 percent of this standard, while Mattoon and Tuscola would
be at 84 percent, each. Odessa would be at 52 percent of the annual PM2.5 standard.
Ain't NEPA grand!

All said congratulations to your community (I mean that).

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."