View Single Post
Old 12/15/2007, 12:59 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Doc_B

Thanks!

I really need to pay some attention to the tank but work has just been taking every moment of my time.

As for lights I was running 175 w 10 K Ushios with 3x 54 w T-5s (1x AquaBlue+ & 2 x Super actinic)

A while back I changed to 400 w 10 K Ushios, keeping the 3 x T-5s and most recently just changed a faulty Ushio to a 15K XM. I really, really like this bulb and as soon as my credit card stops steaming form the holidays, I'll be changing out the second bulb.

With a 24" tank 400 w is not crazy overkill. That said, 250 w will do the job and many folks run them on 24" tanks. If heat will a big issue and a chiller isn't in the cards, stay with the 250s, you WILL need a chiller for 400 watters.

My corals, clams and anems have definitely responded to the 400s . My Derasa has absolutely doubled in size since adding the higher wattage. He's taken to rearranging my rock work to make more elbow room and I may have to rescape the tank soon to accommodate the growth of the derasa and squammy as I'll not give up my clams.