View Single Post
Old 12/14/2007, 10:32 PM
Fish nerd

My pups are on Nutro Ultra. Poor Phoenix's GI tract still has issues and this is the one that agrees with him the best.

Personally, I've seen enough problems from raw diets (yes, dogs can still get bones wedged into their mouths/esophagus/lower GI tract)and I have read too many articles on the risks of food-borne illness to chance it on my own pets. Yes, dogs can get food poisoning, we see quite a bit of it actually (sometimes it's accidental exposure, sometimes part of a planned diet). The other risk is to the family--especially if you have kids or any immuno-compromised individuals (chemotherapy, AIDS, organ recipients or any other issue that weakens the body's defenses). If you it's not safe for you to eat it raw, why would you even want the risk in your home? We've seen enough food recalls from the grocery store, that folks should recognize that even those "human-grade" foods aren't without risk. In one study (Colorado St Univ/USDA), over 50% of a commercially prepared raw diet had E. coli contamination so even the commercially prepared diets have risks

The FDA's position statement on feeding raw diets to companion animals: www.fda.gov/cvm/Guidance/Guide122.htm

Just putting this out there for those who haven't decided. I doubt that I'll change the minds of anyone who's already feeding this (not until a health problem arises anyway.)

If you want to feed a raw diet and understand the risks, be very sure that it is balanced. Calcium/phosphorus imbalances are very common (even if you do feed the bones). A source where you can have your raw diet recipe evaluated is at: http://www.monicasegal.com.

If you want to do a homemade diet, you can be sure it's balanced too. I'd much rather see someone feed a balanced homecooked diet than a diet containing raw meats

Resources for more info on pet nutrition/diets:
www.petdiets.com
www.balanceit.com
Univ of Tenn Veterinary nutrition service

(and I did have more than 4 hours of nutrition in vet school, contrary to what a lot of the BARF and RAW sites suggest, LOL!)

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot