View Single Post
Old 12/14/2007, 06:03 AM
Registered Member

When I read this thread I got new hope to kill the bryopsis in my tank. At the moment bryopsis grows only on few places at the liverocks, but I'm afraid it would be more in several months. I tried everything from Tridacia crispata to other algae eaters - but without success. The I tried the Kalkwasser method and raised the pH to 8,6 - this was successfull, but I saw, that most of my SPS-Corals didn't like this method. So I was surprised about this alternative method of raising the Mg-Level.

Before I started to raise up the Mg-level I messured the following water parameters:

pH: 8,3-8,4
KH: 7-8 dH°
Ca: 430 mg/l
Mg: 1390 mg/l
NO3: 0 mg/l
PO4: 0,024 mg/l

The tank is 66 gallon(US) tank with mostly SPS-corals. I have high water movement, skimmer and a DSB-system. I'm content with the coral growing and the colors of my corals. The lightning is 6x39 Watt T5 with 3 ATI aquablue sp. and 3 Blue plus.

I started now to raise up my Mg for one week with Tropic Marin Bio Magnesium, because I used this product before to hold my Mg-level on recommanded level.

Now the Mg-level is about 1700 mg/l and Ca is raised up to 480 mg/l. The corals are all looking good - no bleaching or other negative efects. But Bryopsis is growing happy like before.
Should I raise up the Mg-level slowly higher to 1900 or 2000 mg/l or should I wait and hold the level to 1700 mg/l ?

Maybe the TropicMarin Bio Magnesium hasn't the same effect like the Tech M, but I don't really think so. So if it doesn't work with the Tropic Marin I would start again after a while with the Tech M and I would inform you again about the result. I hope I would work!

Sudad