View Single Post
Old 12/13/2007, 02:59 PM
Premium Member

Jonathan
No, not yet... but that does sound like a good next step

Scott
Yes, we are looking at some of the options that you and I had discussed earlier this year. Right now we are more focusing on the initial design idea that myself and a fellow reefer came up with last year (but never pulled the trigger on).

Tomasz
Me and another reefer out here have already sourced parts to build one ourselves. Tankless heater/boiler, 300’ PEX (to spool in the sump) and a radiant heat rated circulation pump come out to just about $800. After shipping, fittings and other incidentals we expect the whole unit to run around $1k. Just have not pulled the trigger on it yet. Scott has some great ideas on building a titanium heat exchanger and utilizing similar other components (tankless heater, circulation pump, etc). Since we and the other reefer both have huge sumps, we planned to just coil a couple hundred feet of PEX into our sump and run a radiant loop through the tankless heater/boiler, similar to how radiant floor heaters work. Up in your neck of the wood I Would expect whole house boilers to be common place. All you would need to do is add another zone to an existing boiler and setup the controls and you are done (for alot cheaper than we could here).