View Single Post
Old 12/09/2007, 11:16 PM
Flatworms = reef herpes.

Location: Southwest Missouri, where everyone wants something for free.
Well, I'm not a member and I like to sell frags, is that a problem? What exactly do you pay for at the meetings? Everything I've always been to the past few years is that everyone has just pitched and and brought something, which is how I think it should be. Also, not to make a big deal out of nothing, but I don't really see someone making an even trade on some of the frags I have which is why I sell them to people who are willing to buy them which is there choice. Also, I wouldn't expect someone to trade me something that wasn't of equal value, it wouldn't feel right to me. I think it's nice that some local people have rarer corals that I can get locally and see them instead of buying them online from who knows where that might be carrying some type of disease, not to mention the whole shipping issue and nonwarrenty stuff. I understand that SEASL and SLASH have much, much larger clubs and fees and such are good for them because they can get enough money together and actually do something cool and the club can pay for it. However, SEAS is a bit small to be able to do that, and I think that this area can't really support something like that unless you charge a much higher fee. I remember that local LFS just used to donate items for the meetings, members where only allowed to win which was fine with me and it didn't cost the club anything. Maybe someone should post exactly where the money goes, that way a person can see how it's being spent. I understand things have been idle for a while and it'd be nice to get things going again, but I'm just not sold on the fee. I agree that $20 isn't squat, but other clubs charge people $5 for attending swaps. Now is that realistic to do here? Probably not, but you can always try and see what happens. I just don't like the perception of this being a 'members only club' and have never liked organizations like that. I also don't think that this is what Reef Central believes in, but again that's just my opinion. I'm not trying to start anything, I think I'm just speaking generally for a few people whom I've talked with. Again, this is just my opinion, I've been on this forum for 3 years and attending several meetings. I've always enjoyed the discussions, group buys, and ideas. I would just hate to have to 'buy' into the club for this to continue.
What's next, the big earthquake everyone's been talking about for years!

Last edited by aquaconnect; 12/09/2007 at 11:28 PM.