View Single Post
Old 12/09/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

best thing you can ever do in a situation like yours is WAIT till it splits first... even a tiny baby. what hack at it. really I mean just cut in 1/2. don't be too hasty and cut too many. you have to ask yourself the ultimate question. can I stand loosing the entire polyp.

I know alot about this. I have mostly exotics in my tank. 10 yrs. in that 10 year period I have been overzelouse and cut too much and learned the hard way. so, to cut it... do itwith a super sharp and clean blade. NO BLADE OIL... most blades are preserved with MOTOR OIL. not good for a reef, esp. inside a coral tissue. a scalple is great as its streil out of a fresh pack. wont hurt to wear rubber gloves. take it out of the tank when you have better control ofthe cut under good light. now, cut by stabing down slowly inside the mouth and cut out twards the outside. than stick a pc of acetate or styrene in between the cut. use rubber bands to keep in place for a week. than allow the coral to heel. it should look the same when healed but have a slit in it. than wait as I have found 60% split on thier own in a fairly short period of time. NO NEED to make a full cut. *** THE CORAL WILL BE HAPPIER. *** if it does not split you can cut the other half... and do the same as above. the benefit of doing it this way is that it will not come off the rock. if you make a full cut it more than likely will. and ou know what that means... right?