View Single Post
Old 12/04/2007, 05:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by willhoward
I've got a few questions about flukes:
~ Can flukes be dormant? In other words, how do my fish get it if I havn't added anything new within the last 2 months and the fish that died have been healthy for almost a year in my tank?
~ How quickly does flukes progress? The fish was eating well the one day, no foggy eyes, next morning lay on sand, next day dead
~ Can fish carry flukes without being infected?
~ How do one get flukes out of your main system if you've got it? Will it die off without a host (the fish)
~ Is PraziPro invert safe?

~ Can flukes be dormant? In other words, how do my fish get it if I havn't added anything new within the last 2 months and the fish that died have been healthy for almost a year in my tank?

I had a new Angel for about 2 months and it got flukes. Im not sure if he got it from the other fish or if he had it when I bought it. That was the time I didnt know anything about flukes

~ How quickly does flukes progress? The fish was eating well the one day, no foggy eyes, next morning lay on sand, next day dead

I never had a fluke infested fish die the next day after it stopped eating. It took another 2 weeks before the fish will die. In my experience if you catch the fish early on with the symptoms and FW dip the fish your chances of curing it is greater. Usually the fish that stopped eating will eat the next day after the FW drip. If you wait too long like I did once because I did not have time to tear down my tank to catch the fish it died 2 weeks later despite the FW dip and yes it had flukes as well.

~ Can fish carry flukes without being infected?
Yes, just like Ich.

~ How do one get flukes out of your main system if you've got it? Will it die off without a host (the fish)
You can leave the main system fishless for about 4-6 weeks or treat it with Prazipro for 5 days

~ Is PraziPro invert safe?
Not safe with worms i.e. feather dusters. From other threads Xenia and Star Polyps does not like Prazipro. Not sure about invertebrates.

The above answers are just from my previous experiences and your results my vary.

If other would like to charm in please do so