View Single Post
Old 11/23/2007, 09:02 AM
Premium Member

I personally have been keeping tropical fish for 40 yrs. There is always something new to learn.

There is also many different husbandry styles that will yield the same result. Most systems have there great moments and down moments.

With that said I have a amazingly complicated 500 gal system at home. At work I have a 90 gal tank with a 150 gal Rubbermaid sump in the basement, the tank looks amazing and is always clean. The filtration is 8 inches of hardware store white sand, like the kind you would see in a ash tray.( it they still exist) And a bag of the alum style phosphate beads. The lighting on the sump is a $20 two head 150 watt halide light. (not metal halide) The light is kept on 24/7. After 1 year it is filled with about half of chaeto. (not sure on spelling) The main tank has 250 watt metal halide 20 k and actinic supplement. The main tank has one single speed tunze.

This system is great and rivals my 500 gal tank with a bubble king skimmer, ca reactor, kalk, drip, 6 400 watt metal halide. Which eats about $250+ dollars a month in electric.

I think a large refuge is great.