View Single Post
Old 11/17/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

I have been in the business of selling freshwater plants to hobbyists for almost ten years, and I write a column in FAMA called The Planted Tank. In my buiness, one of the most common things I hear from my customers is ex reefers converting over to freshwater plant tanks. It has become so common for the last several years, that I have been trying to think of a way to better market towards these people!

Why is it so many reefers are converting? Its not newbie reefers that gave up before they got started. It's seasoned, experienced reefers. I got a call like this from a guy just a couple weeks ago, and I have gotten these types of calls every month for the last nine years. He has been a reefer for 20 years and he is just retireing from his career this year. According to him he is "burnt out" on reefs and thinks a planted tank will be more relaxing!

I am sure different people have their own reasons for going from one to the other, and I know some people that are happy doing both worlds. Freshwater plant aquariums as a hobby has its own llittle nuiances. People who are very analytical gravitate to freshwater plants for the science involved in growing the plants and keeping a balanced system free of algae, (ha!) while others are attracted to the artistic nature of the hobby.

I come to this forum once every six months as a lurker just to see what the other side of the aquaria world is doing. And while I am curious and respectfull of the reef world, I am real happy where I am at!

"chiclids" is gum my friend, and it doesn't do well is fresh or salt water!

Quote:
I find I have to do Bi-weekly water changes on my FW tank to keep nitrates down. To many fish - To much feeding - No natural denitrification like in SW.
Plants in a freshwater aquarium feed on ammonium and nitrate to the point you have to ADD NITRATE to the water. A healthy plant tank has ZERO nitrate without it being added. Zero!

Robert Hudson
www.aquabotanic.com

Last edited by Robert H; 11/17/2007 at 09:53 PM.