View Single Post
Old 11/15/2007, 02:55 PM
TRC Leader

Re: RO/DI question?

Quote:
Originally posted by huge1day
Saw Marc's tank last night. Some very good growth since I saw it last year. The leather on the right side of the tank is huge...

As always had a good time just talking tanks with Marc and his son.

Thanks for all the help...
It was nice visiting with you Bart. Be sure to send me a link to your tank thread when you get a chance.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_Phil
Marc, is there any way to test TDS other than the electronic meters? Would a general hardness test give the same results?

I really want to get one of the RO/DI units you sell, but I'm worried my tap water will clog the RO membrane in short order. It's very hard, and high in Iron and Manganese, so I'm trying to figure out just what home filtration I need. Unfortunately, the only water quality experts I can find locally just tell me I need to buy their system.

Thanks.

Phil
When it comes to testing your water, there are several ways to measure it.

PSI
Temperature
Phosphate
Nitrate
Chlorine
and TDS.

If your water is very hard, and you've opted to install a water softener in your home, run the RO/DI system after the water softener. This will allow the system to work more easily and the filters will last longer than if they were processing the raw hard water.

You mentioned using freshwater kits. Are they pretty old? Perhaps the readings are no longer accurate at this point.