View Single Post
Old 11/07/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Ive done it with the dual 150 watt Outer Orbit. You can do it.
You need parts from Current USA. You need the 250 watt reflector (it's different) and a 250 watt socket, from Current Usa. You could do it with the reflector you have and a standard 250 watt DE socket but you'd have to cut the reflector and rig the socket to mount it. Much better to use the parts from Current USA as you would be able to return it to stock. Plus, they will only cost you about 30 bucks and should bolt right up. You can also, probably, fit an ARO electronic ballast inside the fixture itself where the stock ballast sits. You may have to relocate the fan. I fit two ARO 250 watt ballasts inside the 48" outer orbit. That said, you wont increase the spread of that tiny reflector, You will turn an already hot, hot spot into a super hot hot spot. But it is do-able.

Personally, I would probably just do it up right and go DIY. Sell the fixture and apply the funds to one of the full size Lumenarc or lumenmax reflectors (or maybe the new Lumenbrite) which will get you full or near full coverage of the entire tank. You could still add some supplemental T5's (or PC's) and moonlights if you want. Just my 2 cents.