View Single Post
Old 11/03/2007, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

The Local Fish Store

So which one is your personal LFS?

I'm a Fish World guy, myself. The prices are usually a bit higher than at Atlantis, but the guys at Fish World know me better. It also helps that I'm about 5 minutes from the store. They usually always let me know about new shipments coming in and when it would be best to come in to browse. I need to be more buddy buddy with Atlantis but I usually run into someone different every time I walk in.

The thing that worries me the most about Atlantis is that they are, to me, a business more than a LFS. They have tried to sell me SPS's that wouldn't grow under my lights and fish that are too big for my tank. I'm sure that the owner and manager would tell me different but the younger staff seems a bit ignorant. For example... I bought an OC clown from Atlantis a week ago and I asked them if I could have a BTA in my tank. They told me I could, no problem. Now, I did not research BTA's before I went into the store and I walked out with one. Big mistake (as always). As most of you know, BTA's can get pretty big and some can be hard to keep. So I found myself with an anemone that may not survive in my tank (10 gal) . After finally researching on my gbta I have decided to try and keep him and if he, after a week, shows signs of distress I will return him. If he seems ok, I will keep him until I can upgrade to a larger tank.

I took the advice of the younger guys at the store and while they may have been giving me their true earned advice, from what I have learned it is wrong.
At any LFS there will be an employee (or employees) that misinforms the customer. Shane at Fish World clearly has much less knowledge than Joe and his wife but he always pulls out the phone if he isn't sure of the answer. At Atlantis I always feel that I need to check the internet before I buy anything. I don't like that feeling. Maybe I just need to hang around there more.

Do we have any LFS employee's on the board?

edit: The 1200gal. tank at Fish World is the coolest tank I've ever seen.

3 gal. Pico
10 gal. Nano
20 gal. FW

Last edited by Coleman4i; 11/03/2007 at 12:59 AM.