View Single Post
Old 11/01/2007, 01:14 PM
Premium Member

Well, I am a professional in the book publishing industry and I can tell you that the fact that you received any word at all from the publisher is far more "professional" than usually happens. In the industry, book deadlines are created so that someone from marketing has something to work with and almost always do not reflect reality at all. There are almost always delays. Most of the time they have to do with authors re-writing their books at the last minute, but there are, of course, any number of other reasons for delays. I've seen it happen that a typesetter has had a heart attack in the middle of a project and the publisher has had to scramble to find a new typesetter (I was the new typesetter). People get sick. Delays in transportation happen. And, as it sounds like happened here, sometimes decisions are made to switch printers somewhere along the process so that the publisher can produce a better product for you.

Be happy that it didn't come down like a recent book I worked on: The book went through copyediting, typesetting, indexing, proofing, and lots of marketing and then the author decided they didn't like the way the book was turning out and refused to let the publisher go ahead with it.

So, relax. Once you've had this book for years and years, the three months extra you had to wait to get it will seem like nothing.

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats