View Single Post
Old 10/25/2007, 03:12 AM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by JCDelbeek
John, two points of import you did not mention ... how deep was it collected at and was it eating before being shipped out?

In the Waikiki Aquariums' experience, the males are extremely difficult to wean over to artificial foods. For that reason, when we have collected them in the past we have always collected juveniles.

Some have reported significant populations of this species off the Waianae coast of Oahu at around 450 ft., so they are here, but as has been mentioned, not easily collected.

I have heard they can be found on some sea mounts off the NE coast of Hawaii at SCUBA depths, I have also seen a pair of immature females at 80' off of Molokini Crater back on the late 90's.

Aloha!
JCD
Hey again JCD... you're very lucky to have seen those in person at Molokini... That seems to be the only place they've popped up in shallow water at on multiple occasions in the MHI...

Quote:
Originally posted by freedive43

As to the exact collection location and depth -- well that's a trade secret =) Hopefully Copps won't spill the beans...
It was collected in Waikiki at 10 feet depth by the Hilton Hawaiian Village... between two tourists from Wisconsin... sorry Rufus, I couldn't hold it in!

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.