View Single Post
Old 10/24/2007, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

here is my impression of it from my studies of biology (which is my undergraduate major) and plant metabolisms......

say a coral is blue... this means they reflect blue light and their pigments absorb everything but blue (mainly red). These corals are going to recieve the light they need from lights with more daylight in them, because they arn't absorbing blue.

If a coral is red, it is more likely to be a deeper ocean coral that absorbs blue light (the only light that exists down there). Here actinic bulbs should be all the coral needs to survive.

This is very basic, and most algae (including zooxanthalae, if i remember correctly) contains what are called "accessory pigments". These pigments are kind of back-ups, which can absorb other spectrums of light. A green plant may have an accessory pigment that allows it to absorb yellow-green or blue-green light along with the red light taken in from the pigment Chlorophyl a, which is the main pigment.

Does that make any sense? haha.... It sounds confusing when I reread it, but I don't know how else to explain it. MCsaxmaster explained the relationships between K and nm.