View Single Post
Old 10/24/2007, 08:30 PM
Registered Member

Equipment List For a 75 Gallon Reef

Ok everyone. I am looking for opinions/critiques on the equipment list for my 75 gallon reef. Nothing is purchased, and nothing will be purchased for quite a while, (saving up) so everything is open to change. I am trying to do this on a budget, but understand that there are some areas that you cannot skimp on. If there is anything which you think is cheaply made, or anywhere where you think a more inexpensive item would do the job just as well, tell me.
It's going to be a mixed reef, with SPS in the future. Fish choices aren't really going to affect equipment selection, but I'll list what I've decided as of now.

First fish added will a pair of ocellaris clowns. About a year or so down the road, a mandarin. I have no clue what else, and even though this is not the right forum, any suggestions would be welcome.

So, equipment.

Tank: 75Gallon Reef Ready. Haven't decided glass or acrylic for sure. Probably glass though.

Sump: 30 gallon glass aquarium I have lying around.
It's going to be plumbed:
Skimmer>Return

Return pump: Eheim pump. What model?

Skimmer: Octopus NW Medium skimmer. I forget how that corresponds to the numbers.

Lighting: Aquatinics 5 bulb 48 inch fixture. (Unless anyone knows where I can find Icecap retros that can be shipped to Canada?)

Water Circulation: Two Korilla #? Suggestions? Or maybe one more?

Stand: Homemade: Plans TBD

Controller: Aqua controller Junior
I know I don't NEED a controller, but I feel that have pumps on alternating patterns is better for the tanks inhabitants. And the controller can PH and Temperature as well, so its not much more expensive than a wave maker, a digital thermometer and a PH monitor. Plus its more reliable than the heaters thermostat.
I chose the ACJ over the RKII because of the lunar cycle stimulation. I think its neat.

Two little fishies phosban reactorx2 (carbon and phosban.)

Um, cant remember the name of the Refractometer I'm getting but it has good reviews.

75GPD RO/DI unit from thefilterguys.

Um, did I forget anything?