Thread: My Vivaria
View Single Post
Old 10/23/2007, 10:40 PM
Obsessive Compulsive

Some species are harder than others. Also breeding is another ball game, you could have very healthy frogs and they might not breed because they are not fond of the environment. I'm still pretty new to the hobby of darts, so I can't say if its easy or hard.. I just know I haven't given them any special care, and I've had some success breeding them. But I am guilty of having experience with plants and vivariums for many years..

The flies I culture are genetically altered and cannot fly. If they get loose they usually die within a day.. but if you are careful when feeding nothing gets loose, these 2 tanks are in my bedroom and I have never seen a fly anywhere in my room. The most effort I do is that I dust my fruit flies with vitamins, calcium, and a color enhancer when I feed. But I think a more important point is that you don't need the frogs to have the plants do good (they are free fertilizer though), so if you just want a nice low maintenance tank with beautiful plants and no frogs.. that's doable and very cheap!

This is the male when he is calling.. it sounds like an insect buzzing but it is not annoying..

The result..

Ready to come out..

Female transporting tadpole on her back to put him into the water in the bromeliad..

2 months later it ventures out..

Don't let the pictures deceive you. All the adult frogs pictured in this thread are no larger than 1.25" , thus the smaller food items required to culture for them.

Last edited by Corpus Callosum; 10/23/2007 at 10:46 PM.