View Single Post
Old 10/23/2007, 02:51 PM
Premium Member

Help, going crazy with zoo problem

I have been struggling to keep new zoos healthy for over a year and I've read every article and can't pinpoint the issue.

I have a some zoos in my tank which are very healthy and spreading like crazy the below pic is the one that is spreading super fast.. I also have several button zoos.

The Problem: I buy zoos that are very healthy at stores or in fellow members tanks and when they come to my tank they open for a few days and then and remain closed, and after 2-3months they disappear from the rock.

Tank Info: 40 Breeder 150w 14k Phoenix 2-96PC Actinics, 1 6025 nanostreem & 1 6045 nanostreem. Mostly all Softies, Xenia grow like weeds, constantly giving them away. Huge LTA, Torch coral, mushrooms, etc

Bottom Line everything in my tank is doing awesome except zoos... which is driving me crazy.

I've done all the stuff I can think of, PH, Cal, Alk, Nitrates all in check. I've replaced all bulbs, Added grounded probe, given them lug. dips etc, Keep ORP around 300

Questions:
1. I leave my lights on from 10am - 10pm is this to long/short?
2. I have all these tiny tiny tiny snails that come out at night, I have never seen them on my zoos, they do not look like sundials to me but its very hard to tell since they are about the size of a grain of sand.
3. I don't think I have zoo pox, cause I have 3 healthy colonies of zoos (unless the zoos I have are not technically zoos and may not be effected by same issues?), If zoo pox wouldn't a new colony of zoos take a while to be effected?

Please throw out any suggestions, having healthy LTA, Xenia and other corals but not being able to keep zoos is driving me crazy.

Below is one pic i found of one of my zoos that are doing extremely well.