View Single Post
Old 10/23/2007, 02:23 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rustybucket145
Will you please come teach my girlfriend how to use a tread tap.... and explain to her that teflon tape isn't supposed to be sticky??

Seriously though... Great Mod! Simple, clean and functional. Where did you get your stirring plate from? does it run 24/7 or do you have it on a timer?

Great Build!!
Thank you

I grew up with two brothers so I know my way around tools, hehe.

I got the drain plate from Ace Hardware. It was about $1. It had two white nipples on the front and back of the plate. Sorry, I can't think of a better word for them, hehe. I cut one of them off and then sanded it so it was smooth. I left the other one on so that I could insert it into the bottom of the DI canister. Then I glued it in place.

The neat thing about this reactor is that the drain plate keeps the Kalk below it so that it wont interfere with the the stir bar wich happens when Kalk hardens. Since the drain plate has holes in it then when the stir bar rotates the Kalk comes up through the plate.

I have the magnetic stirrer set to come on every 6 hours for 5 mins. I got my Stir plate off of Ebay. It was around $30 with shipping. I use a 2" stir bar. 2.5" might be better but you need at least a 2" stir bar otherwise the magnet is too weak. I set the magnetic stir to stir or slow-medium. Its like setting 4 out of 10 on my stir plate. If the setting is too high when it comes on it will vibrate and not stir. I found this setting to work the best for me.
Ca = 420
Alk = 9
Mg = 1350
NO2, NH3 = 0
NO3 = 0