View Single Post
Old 10/19/2007, 07:54 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by pcurry18
If it were me i would prefer middle braces as well. Remember, water weighs 8 pounds per gallon. If you center brace wont interfere with your plans, you should error on the side of caution and install it.
Paul

Any middle bracing on that design, assuming the corner joints are properly welded, will be a total waste of steel and money. They would receive 0% of the weight of the tank, add weight to the frame, add more welds, more $$, and more time to build, all while adding zero strength to the stand in the vertical direction.

It would take an enormous amount of force (aquarium/relatively speaking) to bend 2x2 HSS over a 3'-8" span. As someone already mentioned, I wouldn't be afraid to put several 120g tanks on that stand.

Not to sound cocky, and I'm no structural engineer, but I do have a building science degree and took several structures classes in school. After running the numbers and seeing first-hand how strong wood and steel can be when used properly, it's amazing how many people grossly overbuild their aquarium stands. 1000lbs sounds like a lot of weight, but only because we're human, and to us, 80lbs is a lot of weight. Wood can carry those loads all day long....and steel, come on guys. It's steel for crying out loud! A little goes a very, very long way for our purposes.