View Single Post
Old 10/07/2007, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Cinta's Tank thread

well I am finally gonna start up my own tank thread. it will start off slow as i will start from my very first SW tank up till now. and will do it when I have the time so bear with me on this.

I started this hobby 4 years ago right after marrying my wife who is from Indonesia. as she has always loved the ocean and well I have always loved fish and fish tanks for that matter as I have kept FW fish for over half my life. Well I was always scared to start up a SW tank hearing how hard they are and such (and when you live in a small town there isn't very good info on these things and had to go by the LFS's advice which wasn't the best as I found out later after finding RC, the SiouxFalls aquarium society, and some good LFS's even if i had to drive 1.5 hours to get to them.)

but first lets start off with my 1st tank. it was a 20 gal high with a 150 watt heater, a whisper powerfilter, 5 lbs of LR and 10 lbs of sand. the yellow tailed damsel was added as told by the LFS to start the cycle. (which now I know it is not a good thing.) then after 4 weeks 3 clowns were also added.

after about 2 monthes or so everything seemed to be doing fine. so went back to the LFS to get some ideas on other things to add. well after a while added 7lbs more of LR (which at the time thought it was crazy to be paying 8.00 a lb for rock which is why i never had much at the time.) a air driver skimmer, and upgraded my powerfilter to an emperor "Bio Wheel" filter ( the LFS said it was the greatest thing for SW so I had to have it. lol) and yes to make the wife happy we also added a nice yellow tang. (oh yeah I was told my tank was a great size for it. and of course it was for the size it was but they never told me how big they would get either.)

so I will stop there for the night and will hopefully continue on tommrow. hopefully ppl will follow along and see my hard work with the little money I have to put in to this hobby yet make it a very enjoyable one not only for my wife and I but also for the fish. and hope to get ideas on how to improve the tank I have now.