View Single Post
Old 10/02/2007, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Question setting up a lighting system, need some feedback

my tank is 55 gallons, and I wanted to know how well a setup containing one MH 175 watt bulb w/ fluorscents(I was thinking t5 but now sure on how many) would work. I am tentativly thinking one 175 MH, and two tank length flourscents one 50/50 and another bright flourscent. I really am not sure what kinds of fluorscents to use.
I was planning on having the fluorscents come on in the morning, then the MH mid day, then the fluorsecnts again until the night. I was also thinking of having one of those blacklight types that I could turn on at night(just for aesthetics)

I am curious if the MH bulb is 8 or 9 inches above the water so that the water will not become heated, will the fluroscents become less effective from being elevated with the MH?

I was hoping that someone could throw me some advice about setting this up. It seems like a good idea to me but I haven't set up a lighting system before.

If anyone has any suggestions of bulb combinations or setup details--or criticisms of the idea I would appreciate it.