View Single Post
Old 09/30/2007, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DrBegalke
And there is no reason that we can't still do that. We can certainly send in blinded samples to them for testing. We will have even more information with them doing the testing at baseline, more information can only help our cause, not hurt it.

I originally contacted them so we could have a reference set of data, I am still planning on occasionally sending a sample of my freshly mixed saltwater to them for independent testing. I agree there might be some bias, but there is also more control with having them conduct the study.

The problem with sending in random blind samples is that there wouldn't be as much inter-test reliability. Some samples might be tested one day, some of the others another day, some might get lost in the mail for a day or two extra, etc. If we did send them 15 samples all together, that would probably alert them that something "strange" was going on. Beyond that, we would have to mark each sample in some way, say A/B/C/D, etc., and that certainly would raise some flags and they would be "extra careful" with the testing...

Plus, there is still bias with us sending in samples. For instance, I would be biased toward 50/50 IO/Oceanic as that is what I use... and would unconsciously (or even consciously) be especially sure to mix that sample "just right."

Anyways, I appreciate your concerns Carlo. I tried to send you a PM but your box is full.
I understand what you're saying and for the standpoint of just getting basic specs on the salts I guess it's fine.

I was probably more bothered by the fact that you kind of jumped in and took over what I've been working on for a while even though I just posted it here a few days ago.

Besides just the salt test itself was to be some checks on other parameters which haven't looked correct from AWT. I'm concerned they aren't doing true SW test on some things and I wanted to flush this out.

For the basic stuff most people care about like Calcium, Alkalinity, Phosphates, Magnesium the results they give should be good enough so I'll follow up their salt test with an independent set of tests.

Carlo

PS I'll empty out the PM box.