Thread: OT: Work
View Single Post
Old 09/27/2007, 01:24 PM
Tailspot Blenny

I have an example that may help you out mel.

I really love photography, and picked up while I was in college. At the time I was going all out for Computer Science and didn't think about making a career out of my photography.

It's something I wouldn't mind doing as a career, and I definitely thought about it as an option given I could get to a pro level.

But as I started shooting photos more and more to please others, to get better exposure, to gain more popularity in places like Flickr, I became a little anxious and photography became less of a fun thing to do.

I picked up a few freelance jobs for friends, and realized how difficult it was to get EXACTLY what they wanted, and it was tough to try not to dissapoint them.

I was asked to do a wedding, or engagement event. But the pressure was ridiculous. What if I totally ruined the photos at a wedding? That moment would be lost forever.

I started realizing that once a hobby becomes a job, you'll be hit with A LOT of things that you might not love about it. The pressure, worrying about sales, satisfying customers, etc. made photography plainly, not fun. Which is why I refuse to do freelance jobs etc. I would much rather do them for fun, for free, without expectations.

I also like taking photos, because I like them. I do care, of course, what other people think, but keeping it as a hobby, i'm happy with all the photos I take, and I love doing it. Making it into a career may have been a bad idea.

If you do love your tank and marine live, you might not like the aspects of working at a place like Monterey Bay Aquarium. You might love taking care of your tank and arranging it how you like, but hate how you have to work all day (for example) cleaning the gigantic skimmers for months and never really get to see the tank itself.

Just some examples of what you must consider. Given you can live with the aspects you might not like so much, and the rewards are worth it, then go for it =)

For me, I think the things I love will always be in my hobbies =) But to fund them, I gotta slave away a little in my damn cubical.