View Single Post
Old 09/23/2007, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

People, what a subject and a passion of mine (Taylor_Made is me)! So you take rotifers and other foods and the push them through a medical pump at let's say 10 ml per hour to start and then adjust (yes, that depends on the tank size and other factors). OK, I am going to use my system as an example, I have a basement sump with the display on the next level, I won't bore you with the details, but I do have a main return line and now lets say I tap that line and feed 10-50 ml per hour of zoo-plankton and maybe just a little phytoplankton and this is the weird part, I have two sumps, the second being gravity fed from the first and there I have sediment, because, well it settles, so now I add to my feeding mix small amounts of sediment and because the system already contains the sediment, I am not increasing the nutrients via this addition. The next step I believe is the most important, with my system(and many other people systems have this ability as well), I can do a water change very easy, so now after starting this nutrient push, I do a water change of let's say 10% every other day! Because my system is closed, I HAVE to export nutrients if I add them at a higher rate than my bio-filters and animals can remove, how best to accomplish this? Through water changes, ugh, drudgery right? Nope, open valve, close valve, turn on switch, turn off switch and viola, water change done! But I have an ulterior motivation, I would someday like to keep those beautiful eye candy's we call non-symbiotic corals, gorgonians and dendronephthya, but first baby steps. Right now I feed my fish 5-7 feedings a day of dried zoo-plankton and the fish are very active and healthy. This feeding 24/7 in measured amounts tailored to each system can work! Now, find holes in my theory's and let's move forward.

Dan

90 gallon brace-less trim-less
external over flow