View Single Post
Old 09/23/2007, 02:07 AM
Registered Member

Perhaps someday there will be a truly sustainable way to participate in our hobby, and then you can dive back in. I applaud your sense of responsibility. I know living things (even tank raised) as aesthetic objects can be a difficult hurdle to overcome, given we cannot interact with fish the way we would with a dog. Maybe you can focus your newly recovered time to advancing the hobby toward that kind of sustainability. I always hate to have the hobby lose a participant, for any reason, but personal values take precedence any day.

Recently, I've gone to keeping mostly macroalgae, as it is easily cultivated, and have disconnected as much equipment as I can manage from my system. However now I am concerned with the pile of used parts that I cannot easily return to the environment. And I know the issue is bigger than 'how big of a solar panel will run my pumps?'...we still have a long way to go.

I've never considered leaving the hobby for this reason, as I am too hopelessly addicted to trying to mimic mother nature. But once again I applaud your sense of responsibility.