View Single Post
Old 09/22/2007, 06:13 AM
Premium Member

Sheol -
The same types of my angels have appeared on some previous TOTMs. Copp has trio spectacular Regals in his beautiful reef tank. He also has two Chrysurus Angel if i remember correctly. I think Doug from the Deltec forum also has one in his awesome reef tank as well. I believe having many angels in a reef tank is possible if we can do some research on the species and carefully selecting the right ones to suit your reef. I have very strict rules for fish selection. I also well planned the exact order to add my fish, to ensure their survival and minimize conflict. I will never buy a fish if I don't think it will survive in my tank for long term.

Conowynne -
I am feeding all my fish very well. They do occasionally nip at my SPS which don't show any damage. However, I wouldn't add any angels if my tank was not mature or was only stocked with a lot of frags.

Jason McK -
Thanks! You must be lot of fun with your new toy.

jkhchris -
Sorry,I missed your question. I don't have any frag waiting list. I haven't sold any frags for 1 and half years

fishdoc11, Dejavu, Unarce, kozmo02 -
Thanks so much!

i2ik - I acquired mine from a LFS. A school of anthias swimming in the open top areas of a SPS tank definitely adds a lot of life! At the moment, I don't have any frags to share. I haven't sold any frags for 1 and half years because I am always excited to observe the growth process of a frag to become a colony. If you see the 4th picture in the first page, I have had this Beckett tort for 3 years. I acquired it when it was only 1/2 inch!

lvreefer - One of the fundamental elements to run a BB setup is to use strong flow, in order to keep all the detritus in suspension. In turn, it will be removed by wet skimming or manually siphoning out from the sump or a particular area where the detritus is intentionally directed. Base on my experience, especially with so many fish, when I had 4 Tunzes in my tank, they did offer strong flow to my SPS but they also kept all the particles in suspension. They would break down all the fish poop right away and pollute the water. To illustrate it clearly, if you sink fish poop in a bucket of clear water, let it sink and then siphon it out. The water will be still clear. However, if you stir it, the water will become very dirty as it is now dissolved into the water. This is just a belief from my personal experience.

That being said, manual nutrient export is an important part of my tank to continually improve my water quality. By properly locating 2 Tunze in my tank, they are providing sufficient flow for all my SPS. At the same time, they are providing enough flow to keep all particles in suspension but directing (not breaking down) some fish poop to a particular area where I can easily siphoning out from the tank every other days.

I had a 20g SPS tank with DSB. It worked well for me at that time. However, I went with BB because I believe aggressive of nutrient export sounded promising for my ideal heavily stocked fish and SPS tank. I have been very pleased with my decision to go BB so far.

Keep in mind, this is just from my experience. I have seen many successful DSB tanks.

sivert55 -
I am using Rowalith C+, which is specially designed for Deltec fluidized Calcium reactors to achieve a high output for Alk and Cal. My reactor is providing around 60-70 dKh at the effluent now (almost straight stream at the effluent). I have been very happy with the results. I have yet to use my Kalk stirrer.

I like to have a variety of SPS in my tank so I have designed my LR structure to mimic a Japanese bonsai reef tank. It is always fun to watch my fish swimming on top of my sps. I will try to get a picture.

Serioussnaps -
I always pay particular attention to the polyp extension from all my SPS. It is part of my observation to determine their healthiness.
I occasionally notice my angels nipping at the tips. However, I hardly notice them nipping at the polyps except when a few of them were first introduced into my tank. As you mentioned, the lack of polyp extension is most likely due to natural retraction during the day from predators.

During the day, the polyps don't extend fully, but there is still decent polyp extension to indicate their good health. At night all the polyps are fully extended. I try to keep a constant eye on my SPS and I am only concerned if I don't see full polyp extension from them at night (light off).

I am feeding my fish very heavily. Also, I don't have any snails in my tank. All my fish act as my personal tank clean up crew! As long as the fish are well fed, they hardly taste test the polyps of my SPS and they STILL clean up everything. I will post better pictures of polyp extension from my SPS during day time soon.