View Single Post
Old 09/17/2007, 10:43 AM
Registered Member

1600gal tank - Stand and Water Questions

I am looking at a tank that is about 1600 gals. We would be putting it under the house, on the concrete pad. I had started doing the research on this, but I'm running out of time for a decision.

Any my apologies up front, I don't plan on putting much of a reef in. I have a nano reef inside the house, so this would be a FO tank.

The tank is 6ft x 12ft x 3ft. So a rough guess says this will be about 20,000 lbs and about 280lbs a sq ft. I don't want to lay it flat on the pad, I'd like to have it up about 3 ft. I've seen the concrete stands on a couple of your projects and presume that if I use the same construction, but add a few legs (say every 3 ft) for a total of 12 legs, that shouldn't exceed the compression strength of the blocks. That seem reasonable ?

Also; I live next to a lagoon with saltwater. But it is has some tanin in it. My plan was to pull the water from the lagoon, filter it with something like purigen, then introduce it. I would filter about 40 gal every 2 days ( 1 day to filter, 1 day to recharge the filter) and it would be a 1% water change every day. This would seem to be enough. Does this seem like a good idea ?

Thanks