View Single Post
Old 09/15/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by THP
I'm unsure why 3x400w lights would generate much more heat than 4-5 250w lights...I would have thought the total wattage would equal the heat generated. This unfortunately was my basis on choosing 3x400s rather than 4x250 DE. Also, the best SPS tanks (obviously including yours) I had seen used 400s so that was another factor in choosing them.

Are there other options to chillers? The overall amperage consumption (likely 5.some amps as I would suspect I need a 1/4 hp) begins to drain on what I have available to the tank without tripping breakers. Would an overhead fan above the lights which would pull the heat outside work in place of a chiller or am I really stuck here having to use a chiller.

the problem you will have is temperature fluctuation..I have a 75 gallon here at work and only 2 250 watt halides and it seems at the end of the photoperiod the temp is at its limit...and at night it falls below were I like it to be... a chiller is kinda like a reactor it will keep the temperature stable...