View Single Post
Old 09/07/2007, 07:14 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by ct_vol
Well, really I'll claim ignorance as to what I want... lol To be honest, I thought that you had to get right up on the subject in order to get a good macro... Right now I use the 18-55mm lens that came with my camera for all my Macro shots... I also have a Sigma 70-300mm and in order to keep in focus, I have to stand across the room...

So you can use these lenses as non-macro lenses too??? Sorry, this is my first DSLR... I've had it almost a year now and am still trying to figure out how to use it...

Here's my butterfly with the 18-55mm... Made my wife happy... lol I know its nowhere near as good as most people on here, but I don't have PS and don't really know what I'm doing...
I think the picture is quite acceptable! I've taken FAR worse and insects can be tricky to capture because just as soon as you're close enough to get that shot *poof* they're off to the next spot. Picture obviously can be improved but that just comes with practice!

And we've all been in the point where don't know what all the switches and dials and settings do, it all just comes with time. Kinda strange to think but you DON'T need to be super close for it to be effectively a macro. Macro in fact refers to the fact that at a true macro the image is 1:1 at least, ie: 1cm of subject will occupy 1cm on your camera sensor. The distance this is achieved at can vary widely depending on your lens.

And sure enough you can use all these lenses for non-macro work! The only lens in Canon's line that is strictly a macro lens only is the MP-E 65mm (~$800) as it doesn't focus to infinity. All the others though act just like primes (primes don't change focal length, ie - can't "zoom") when not being used in macro range. There is plenty of pictures from all of them being used as excellent landscape and even portrait lenses.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71