View Single Post
Old 08/27/2007, 09:55 AM
Flowalicious

Quote:
Originally posted by Horace
There have been alot of discussions about temp, and what we should go for. Actually in nature the temp can swing up to close to 90 degrees in some reefs. However, I dont think you can compare our corals to those situations. Here is the problem, just because SOME corals can withstand that, does not mean that ALL corals can. The corals that can withstand that have grown accustomed to that over thousands of years. For example, there are some who will show you pictures of exposed reefs and say "look, these SPS can live while exposed to air/heat for hours". I challenge pretty much anyone here to expose thier corals to metal halide w/ no water for even 1-2 hours. My guess is I would have no takers. Again, the corals that can withstand that have grown accustomed to that for a long time, and all the ones that couldnt have died, and now only the ones who can are left. Anyway, all I can say is, for me, I do not push the envelope when it comes to stressors. Am I perhaps making my corals a bit more sensative to a problem should one arrise, perhaps, but Im not about to let my tank get to the high 80s or expose them to the halides for hours just because some reefs do it in nature.
The same could be said about the mid 70s.

My temperatures have been anywhere from 71 to 90 this summer. I haven't lost anything.

Quote:
Again, the corals that can withstand that have grown accustomed to that for a long time,
So true, which is why it blows my mind that people try to keep temp stable.