View Single Post
Old 08/23/2007, 02:39 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Thanks for the factual info Sanjay... ROFL.

HBtank... please dont take this the wrong way... Im laughing with you on this one... but...

Ha ha ha hooo hooo hooo hee hee hee, x3, and ROFL.

Its just amazing when things go exactly the opposite of what you were expecting. That one caught me off guard as well. I know phosphor based systems werent exactly shy on IR, but I was thinking they were about the same... not that T5s or linear would be double... wow.

But hey, it does show that radiant energy is about the same.

But to now change your argument to the smaller area conducting more... and somehow that halides intensity is much greater or something because of concentration... well... I dont know how to treat that one. Sure, halides are more concentrated, but they also use a smaller area. So if we go back (what, a page or two now?) it goes back to my old argument that halides leave more space for cooling because they occupy less surface area of the water. Simply put, I think that the physics would show that the smaller area would transmit less... have to double check on that, but I believe its just like comparing T5s to halides with respect to their dispersion fields... the T5s light travels farther because they are more spread out.

I agree with your last statement though 100%. Like I mentioned, in my own personal experiences, the T5s heated up the tank more than the halide. All the data that Sanjay has provided backs up what I was saying 100%... its not that T5s are cooler, or that halides are cooler... they are really very similar in heat output... the T5s just more spread out, and the halides more concentrated. Its what you do with that fixture/bulb that makes the difference.

I do wonder if those results are based on SE only, and if DE + sheild would vary things much. I remember the displays that some wondow mfg's used years ago to introduce LoE glass (which is what many DE pendants use for sheilds). There would be two identical tungsten bulbs, with two identical radiometers, and one glass panel would be clear, and the other LoE. The radiometer on the LoE would barely spin, and the other would spin like mad. I was going to bring this up in the comparison... that DE bulbs at least (which is 90% of my experience with halides) would seemingly transmit very little radiant energy based on this. But Sanjay's info makes this a mute point.