View Single Post
Old 08/12/2007, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
...replace the rocks but on top of 1 - 2" slices of PVC pipe to get them off the bottom.
I have used this technique for a long time but I don't use pieces of PVC, rather couplings. Couplings for specific pipe diameters are consistent and have the added benefits of square cuts and smooth/rounded, uniform ends. For larger rocks, I use 3" (about 4" in length)couplings but if you are removing your sand, smaller might serve you better. Were I not filling these with sand, I would definitely fill them with something so that they cannot fill with detritus.

I dismantled my 100g in preparation for my move. After almost 5 years, my 3"+ sandbed was surprisingly clean and full of life. I have not been a fan of sand-sifting stars but I do love sea cucumbers and snails. I have shied away from Turbo's, opting for nerite, nasarrius (sp?) and cerith. The only regret I have about sand in the display is that I don't like the visual at the glass.

I am not sure how you built your RDSB; in fact, I am not sure what most mean by that phrase. I have used what I call a RDSB since reading about Jaubert's work years ago because it made a bunch of sense to me. I think that the big difference to me is that I always construct my DSB over a plenum (except in the display). My sumps are a bit different from most in that I don't compartmentalize the sump itself but, instead, rely on containers on top of the substrate which are in turn above the sand itself. This requires a deeper volume of water, to a degree, but my parameters are much more stable and I have yet to have a nitrate problem since moving into this condo and setting up these two tanks. After taking apart the 100g and its sump, I realized that this works for me and I will continue the practice as I move and continue the process of setting up that more elaborate system.

I wish you the best! It is a great thing to see a well-considered plan for your tank. I find it propitious that you posted it, creating the split!