View Single Post
Old 08/03/2007, 08:19 AM
Registered Member

Sump and Liverock ??

O.k.
So I'm going to be setting up a sump for the first time, and as of now I'm just planning to have a protein skimmer and heaters in the sump. I've considered liverock in the sump, but if I do that I'd have to have a light on the sump correct? If I don't have a light, I was told by LFS employee I would loose all beneficial bacteria?
I'm also using 2 canister filters for filtration. I was told to put liverock rubble in the canister filters as well to help with filtration. Does this help, and if so what else would you put in the canister to help prevent a nitrate factory effect. Do I completely remove all sponges etc. from the canister and just have liverock rubble in there?
I'm doing a 150 gal. FOWLR setup and I'm not concerned about anything living on the liverock other then beneficial bacteria. With all this being said can anyone help explain liverock and my set up better for me? Any suggestions to improve modify my line of thinking based on what I've explained of my set up would be appreciated