View Single Post
Old 07/29/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

if cash is not an issue, i think alot of people on RC swear by spectrapure as having a bit higher quality control and interesting products (like the maxcap di system). also, i think sometimes BAR tries to setup groupbuys with spectrapure, if you want to go that route (i think their units go for around $300).

if you search (late, late at night when the RC search function sometimes works.. ) on the lighting/equipment forum most people like spectrapure, filterguyz, air water ice /typhoon 3, melev.. though the difference between all of them, kent or seachem, and the ebay aquasafe, etc. other $100 dollar ones is somewhat minimal, and you can always change your micron/brands on your different components when you replace them to make a 'spectrapure' like unit out of your rodi.

generally people look for a 4 or 5 stage RODI unit with 1) 75 gph RO filter (seems to have best removal rates for money), filmtec being the 'brand' people like, 2) full size/vertical 10" DI canister (or multiple canisters). read up on the different additions too like TDS meter and auto-shutoff if you are setting it up for ato..

also, you may want to check your TDS of your tap too, as there seems to have been quite a bit of discussion on BAR regarding not using the RO part of the RODI unit and just the prefilters/DI if tap TDS is ~40-50 or lower (which is much of oakland, alameda, parts of sf, etc.) with great results, decent life on the DI, and no RO wastewater produced. as my tap TDS is ~25-35 in oakland, i'm hoping to convert mine to bypass the RO filter whenever i find some extra time..

okay, first post in a while.. maybe went a bit too long..