Thread: rodi unit
View Single Post
Old 07/13/2007, 02:20 PM
Team RC Member

I learned from upgrading the Premier unit over time I had much more invested in the end. If thats the way someone needs to go I would suggest they get the very best RO only unit they can afford at the time and add the DI, autoshutoff, possibly drinking water kit and such later. When you get the less expensive RO/DI systems you sacrifice things like full sized filters and housings for one. Its more expensive to buy the non standard sized replacement filters and your sources are more limited. You also get much shorten filter life and sometimes even get a non standard membrane and housing that will not hold a standard 1812-75 Dow membrane.
When you buy a full sized RO only you can add a good vertical DI kit for about $38, a pressure gauge for $12 to $18, an autoshutoff for $6 to $12 etc. It all adds up and you soon exceed the cost of the good RO/DI to begin with. I know sometimes its hard but its better to continue buying bottled water and save a few more $$$ than to make a snap purchase. Back in 1996 there were not nearly as many choices but today there are lots of good vendors selling high quality individually hand assembled reef quality units, you don't have to settle for a drinking water system that will never produce the quality of water you come to expect.