View Single Post
Old 07/03/2007, 02:16 PM
I yam what I yam

Glad to see you've got things started.

You've seen my setup so you know that I too like the NSL. One thing I've found though is that you will want some suplimental lighting for several reasons.

One is for the early morning/late night viewing. It's nice to have the tank lit after the sun has set so that you can still enjoy it. During the summer it's not bad but during the short days of winter, it makes it nice.

Two is to add some blue light so that you can see the colors of the corals better.

I'm running 2 X 400W DE 14K hamiltions on the light mover. It adds in light during non sunlight times and it adds just enough blue so that the colors in the corals will stand out. Some of the SPS corals just don't show their colors under just NSL.

Not for sure how you can incorporiate the lights, other than maybe as a perimiter lighting. But you have a little time to work on it.

Carbon can be run in the sump or in a couple of canister filters like I do. AS you said, ozone injected into the skimmer works fine. I've never had a problem running it like that. Now I've just got to get some new units to run it again on the skimmer. Stay away from the UV bulb ozone generators. I've used them and just don't like them. They don't seem to do as good of a job at making ozone.

Good luck and I'll be waiting for pic's as they come in.

Have you THANKED a Veteran lately for the freedoms you take for granted each day?