View Single Post
Old 06/10/2007, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Apparently, all your tang needs to do is survive with ich for 10-11 months and the ich will die on its own While this is good info for established systems, it doesn't really apply to ich outbreaks where fish may succumb to the disease before the ich replicates itself into oblivion.

Quote:
Originally posted by happyface888

Could someoen clarify this quote
"As discussed above, C. irritans spends very little time in the water column. After dropping off the host fish, trophonts head straight to the substrate to reproduce. This may take as little as 30 minutes but could extend to 24 hours (Cheung et al., 1979). Burgess and Matthews (1994b) found that significantly more trophonts left their host during darkness while fish are resting. This would greatly decrease the chances of trophonts being swept away from the substrate. These two factors combined almost rule out the possibility of trophonts being collected with natural seawater.

Excystment of theronts from tomonts also happens at night (Burgess and Matthews (1994b) and as theronts are only viable for a few hours, the chances of collecting theronts is low and those collected will most likely die before use in an aquarium. "

So when fish sleeps the ich falls off ? so what if I covered up the tank and blacked it out with no light, Im guessing they might want to sleep but it might not be correct.
I don't understand what you are trying to do. Reading the quote, I gather that more ich leaves the fish when they are resting/still but not all of the parasites drop off.

Could you be more specific as to what your idea is?