View Single Post
Old 06/05/2007, 01:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mfp1016
I agree with mope, you will never zero nitrates, that is impossible. No matter what system you employ, chemically the nitrates will not completely convert to N2 as the series of organic decomposition reactions are not perfect will fluctuate between favoring reactants and products.
Perhaps your just ignorant but many of us achieve 0 nitrates. Some of us even have to add nitrates to get certain stock to prosper.

I have 0 nitrates on my 65g and on my 20g. My 65g has 130lbs of LR that was cooked, part of it buried in a DSb during the cooking, and the anaerobic bacteria was fed during the process. It runs a DIY protein skimmer, a remote DSB, and a generous portion of macro algae in the display. It houses about 12 zoo colonies, and a bi color blenny as well as two snails.

My 20g also 0 nitrates has just over 100lbs of rock between the display and the sump, macro algae in the sump, a remote DSB, a Remora protein skimmer and houses 17 corals, 5 snails, a clam, an emerald crab, and a pink spotted watchman goby. Rock was also cooked before setup.

Both tanks get RODI water for top offs and salt mixes. I do a water change once a month, sometimes once every two months. Both tanks are fed heavily, especially the 20g which recieves one cube of mysis, a cap full of DT's, and a piece of brine shrimp daily.

JME with zro nitrates.