Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   3 clownfish in tank (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=916823)

Hal 08/28/2006 02:14 PM

3 clownfish in tank

I just rescued a false perc clownfish, about 2 inches long, from a neighbor's leaking tank. Also some type of damsel (Allens?). She had a 90 gal with a slow leak and had run out of options in her mind. It was either me or the toilet for the fish. I didn't particularly want either, but the alternative was bad.

I've already got a pair of false perc clowns in my tank. I seem to remember that 3 perc's isn't a good idea. Is this true? Will one of them end up dead?:confused:

K-Dubbs 08/28/2006 02:16 PM

How big is your tank? If your tank is large enough I don't think it would be a problem, because even if 2 of them pair off the other one should have enough room for them not to get in a fight. Although I am not really sure... i'm just guessing. Hopefully someone else has some insight on this.

nmprisons 08/28/2006 02:21 PM

in a 150 you have a good shot at being ok ... but i would be really cautious.

Hal 08/28/2006 02:24 PM

I was hoping for more than "should be ok" to justify my risk. If this will cause trouble for my pair, or vice versa, I'd just as soon give the fish to another reefer.

Travis L. Stevens 08/28/2006 02:28 PM

I wouldn't keep it in there long. The pre existing pair will probably not tolerate the new fish long. There is a high chance that the new one is a female already, and that means a big fight will most likely ensue. I would find it a better home.

Saber 08/28/2006 03:29 PM

I have had three false Perculas in my tank for over two years. They started out in a 33 together and now live in a 60. They get along wonderfully.

AquaReeferMan 08/28/2006 04:20 PM

I also have 3 clowns together. I had a Percula and a Occs. The male Occs ended dying. I then added 2 black and white Occs. My situation worked out. I also know a couple of people with 3 clowns together also. Now if the 2 you have are still kinda young then I dont think it will become a problem. They will just end up 1 female 1 dominant male and a secondary male. That is the roles of mine. Now I knew I had 1 female so I got 2 smaller males. This can happen you just need the right surcomstanses. HTH

Hal 09/01/2006 07:28 AM

Well, I opted for the cautious route. I gave the clown to a school teacher for her classroom tank.

BTTRFLYGRL 09/01/2006 08:33 AM

Good idea..I tried to keep 4 in my old 125 and two that were of similar size began fighting..then one stayed up in the corner scared, every time he came out of the corner he was brutally attacked. The last straw was when the meaner of the two had the other trapped under a rock. He would have killed him had I not gotten him and the smallest Clown their own tank.......I guess I can blame it my Ocellaris that I now have 2 tanks;)

burdundi 09/01/2006 08:43 AM

I think you made a good choice Hal. Better safe than sorry and better than flushing.

-Andy