Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   220 Inwall - Plan (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=813565)

JohnL 03/30/2006 05:33 PM

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: [url]http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=7077344#post7077344[/url]

bheron 03/30/2006 05:33 PM

BRISK495[QUOTE]I can keep you updated if you'd like. Feel free to introduce yourself over at our site. I know I will be following your site...not only for the tank but to see how your rooms transforms around the tank! [/QUOTE]

- That would be great to keep me updated and in the loop. When Im ready to attend one of these meetings, it would be great to have someone to help me out with it.

[QUOTE]Also, I know you are keeping mostly Fish and inverts, but if you ever want some free frags...let me know. I occasionally break them off by accident....[/QUOTE]

- Would be grateful for anything like that. Am going to concentrate on the fish side, but also want to keep things colorful with any corals I can get as frags!

[QUOTE]Do you have a refugium that is up and running?? I think I saw it in your diagrams earlier in the posts.....[/QUOTE]

- I do. Right now I have what I'm calling as a "holiding tank" but whats really turning into a Fuge:

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/bheron/000_0351.jpg[/IMG]

This sucker is plumbed into my system now and housing some LR and that big chunk of chaeto. Eventually I want to use it as a holiding tank for new fish specimens (after QT but before introducing into the display) and for specimens not quite fit for the display (like a fuge). Its barebottomed now.

I also have a special section of my return plumbing ready for an 18g rubbermaid tank that will be for the sole purpose of housing macroalgae as Im a big fan of it. Havent put that in yet.

chImerAnz -

[QUOTE]Nice looking setup, I gotta in-wall too but only face on. 150 gallon but soon to be upgraded to 300 gallon. I really like how you have one end of the tank visible too, wish I'd done the same[/QUOTE]

- Thanks for the comments. 300 should be awesome, and just big enough. Feel free to stop by and ask questions here as you go

[QUOTE]I havent read through your whole thread (too big and I dont have the time!) but noticed above you have bags on your sump inlets to try and reduce micro bubbles? I assume you have baffles in your sump to help reduce this?[/QUOTE]

- God catch. Yes, I do have them in there, but really to serve as mechanical filtratrion. I really dont like all the floating debris in my tank and, while I know there are pros and cons, I have to say theyre doign a good job. Just have to be sure to clean themout frequently.

With that said, they DO aid in helping with microbubbles. And I do have a baffle system in place.

Im looking at your picture below - but Im not sure whats goign on there? Looks like the egg crate is on an angle maybe? Can you give some more explanation as Im always looking to reduce microbubbles!

- An ATO for cheap at $90. Man, I think $90 is expensive. WOnder what the expensive ones cost!? Thanks - I'll check into it since I need one.

Airman -
[QUOTE]I notice in all of the shots of the full tank your fish always on the right side of the tank. Are the scared of the big pile of LR on the left? [/QUOTE]

- Airman, cool you should notice that. Been waiting for someone to comment. I happened to get all three of these fish around the same time. Got the Clown in April 2004 and the two tangs at the exact same time in Aug 2004. And they were my first three fish. Well, they immediately bonded with each other -- the three of them stay within a few inches at all times. Then they went into a small 20g interim tank. When they went into the current 210 they still do it! The tangs dart off every once in awhile for a quick sprint, but always come back. Also, I always feed them in the same spot on the left. So, whenever they see me they gather in that area. Strange. But.... Im hoping its a good thing when I introduce more livestock into the tank as they'll hpoefully stay on their side.

agarza - thanks!!

agarza 03/30/2006 05:50 PM

And that is how you get your first split, CONGRATULATIONS

:dance:
:celeb1:

chImerAnz 03/31/2006 12:18 AM

[QUOTE]Im looking at your picture below - but Im not sure whats going on there? Looks like the egg crate is on an angle maybe? Can you give some more explanation as Im always looking to reduce microbubbles![/QUOTE]
What you see is the last section of the sump. Yes, the egg-crate is on an angle. The water level is about half way up the egg crate. Under the water sitting in the V (against the last baffle and eggcrate sits a stocking fill of carbon - although not shown)

[QUOTE]An ATO for cheap at $90. Man, I think $90 is expensive. WOnder what the expensive ones cost!? Thanks - I'll check into it since I need one.[/QUOTE]
have a read of what it does :)

Airman 03/31/2006 12:51 AM

Good job on the split. :) :) :)

conda 03/31/2006 10:42 AM

Congrats on you split ! ! ! :beer:

I like your chaeto, mine is growing fast. It started the size of my fist, now it is the size of a soccer ball.

bheron 03/31/2006 11:04 AM

[b]agarza[/b] - thanks for throwin the 1000 post party!

[b]chImerAnz[/b] - thanks. also, i checked out that website for the top off system. very nice! If I were ever to get one it would have to be reliable, like the one here. I also like the probes versus a float-type switch, and the fact that there are two sets of each.

do you have one and, if so, how long and how has it been?

[b]Conda[/b] - thanks. Yea, i think you'll really see a beenfit from the chaeto. the amount of algae in my tank (overflows, glass, rocks) decreased dramatically in one week. and now its almost all gone. with a cleaner crew, you should now be covered. im gonna grow the heck outta this stuff.

conda 03/31/2006 09:20 PM

BTW, are you supposed to prune chaeto?

melev 04/01/2006 12:00 AM

Yes, as you see the need. If you see the refugium is full, you can reduce it by 50%, and then gently tug it apart to encourage new growth.

bheron 04/01/2006 12:31 AM

you know, thats a good question. i used to think the answer was "yes". this was based on the belief that the plant absorbed alot of the nutrients and should be cut back. but i have a feeling thats not the case. marc, whats your angle?

melev 04/01/2006 12:54 AM

Yes, that is correct. If it just sits there idly, it doesn't take up nutrients like it can while it is growing hard and fast.

tgunn 04/01/2006 01:56 AM

My chaeto is lit with 2 x 54w 11k T5s; it seems to grow okay but I notice the chaeto itself ends up getting a brown microalgae growing on it. Guess this isn't a big deal since it's easy to just cut out a chunk and toss it..

Tyler

rdmpe 04/01/2006 08:27 AM

Bryan, the tank looks really great! That vent grille under the tank though, that isn't looking so hot :) Is that rust? Need to look for an aluminum one or break out the Rustoleum.

I have similar issues with my softies and high flow. But all of my softies came as LR hitchikers (xenia, kenay tree, anthias, encrusting gorgonia which does like high flow) so I have not worried too much about it.

I've seen too many pictures of tanks with xenia growing out of control, so I am trying to keep it off my rocks and only grow it on the back glass and overflow glass. So far I'm getting it to attach to the glass pretty well. I like the look of a big wall of xenia waving in the flow rather than just bare glass/coraline.

But there are some softies that I want to keep, including a small hammer coral that I got recently. I've had to try a few different spots for it. I have it stuck in the sand for now but am going to epoxy it to the rock some time soon. Once I found a low flow spot, it really opened up fully, made a huge difference.

Do you spot feed your froggy? I fed some frozen brine shrimp to my small hammer and it seemed to close up on the brine and I think it pulled them into the center - they have some sort of mouth area in their center don't they? I'm pretty clueless! But anyway the darn clownfish was stealing the brine shrimp. I need to find a clear tube that I can sit over the coral when I want to spot feed it occasionally.

Keep up the good work and pictures!

tgunn 04/01/2006 09:19 AM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7088029#post7088029 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rdmpe [/i]
[B]Do you spot feed your froggy? I fed some frozen brine shrimp to my small hammer and it seemed to close up on the brine and I think it pulled them into the center - they have some sort of mouth area in their center don't they? I'm pretty clueless! But anyway the darn clownfish was stealing the brine shrimp. I need to find a clear tube that I can sit over the coral when I want to spot feed it occasionally.
[/B][/QUOTE]

I spot feed like this as well with some chunks of large frozen plankton; my froggy love s it. My problem is my shrimp; I have to stand by with the baster and give him a little squirt when he tries to steal from the froggy.

I found since feeding my froggy he's so much fuller and brighter colored..

You should be able to find a nice spot for the softies somewhere; I'm running 60x turnover and had no probs finding a spot for the froggy.

Tyler

rdmpe 04/01/2006 10:09 PM

I am going to keep an eye out for a good diameter clear plastic something-or-other than I can place over the hammer to feed it. It looked very happy today. I managed to epoxy it to a rock, but I'm not really happy with how it turned out, so I may not leave it there. Not sure what I'm going to do . . . So will let it sit for now.

bheron 04/02/2006 12:13 PM

[b]Marc -[/b] [QUOTE]Yes, that is correct. If it just sits there idly, it doesn't take up nutrients like it can while it is growing hard and fast.[/QUOTE]

Got it. So, when do you know its time to prune? I wanted to grow the biggest ball of chaeto this side of the Miss.

[b]rdmpe [/b]- [QUOTE]Bryan, the tank looks really great! That vent grille under the tank though, that isn't looking so hot Is that rust? Need to look for an aluminum one or break out the Rustoleum.[/QUOTE]

- Good catch there! Been wating for someone to mention that. Yep, the vent is right next to the tank returns in the sump. salt splash. I let it go b/c I actually going to think about covering the whole thing up. It produces alot of noise also and I get a good amount of ventilation, I think, in other areas. Im gonna give it a try. If not - you said it - rustoleum!

[QUOTE]I've seen too many pictures of tanks with xenia growing out of control, so I am trying to keep it off my rocks and only grow it on the back glass and overflow glass. So far I'm getting it to attach to the glass pretty well. I like the look of a big wall of xenia waving in the flow rather than just bare glass/coraline. [/QUOTE]

- Id agree completely with the xenia. i like it. for some reason, however, it doesnt appear to be growing or spreading!

[QUOTE]Once I found a low flow spot, it really opened up fully, made a huge difference.[/QUOTE]

- I'll post an updated pic of my torch later. im moved him to a lowest flow area i can find and it still doesnt seem to be fully opened.

[QUOTE]Do you spot feed your froggy? [/QUOTE]

- You know, Ive tried this a few times. Even brought a long, clear hard tube. It just seems like such a pain. not nearly as easy as i thought. last time i did it with the lights off like melev succested. im gonna keep trying.

[b]Tyler [/b]-
[QUOTE]You should be able to find a nice spot for the softies somewhere; I'm running 60x turnover and had no probs finding a spot for the froggy.[/QUOTE]

- I envy you! I have to keep tweaking the spots and hope to find something! Ive got about 22x turnover and find it tough.

[b]rdmpe - [/b]

[QUOTE]I am going to keep an eye out for a good diameter clear plastic something-or-other than I can place over the hammer to feed it. [/QUOTE]

- I found mine in Petco (which I dont like). And they charged me $6 for it. Someone mentioned before using one of those clear plastic sleeves used to protect flourescent bulbs!

[b]Update [/b] - I plumbed in my new topoff and WC system this weekend (not auto topoff, just making my top offs and WCs easier). Used some 3/4" pvc and some ball valves and was really easy! Took one and a half beers. Will post some pics of it later.

Stile2 04/02/2006 12:16 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7094977#post7094977 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bheron [/i]

- Id agree completely with the xenia. i like it. for some reason, however, it doesnt appear to be growing or spreading!
[/B][/QUOTE]

Man, I can't get my Xenia to slow down. I keep getting small rocks to put under a leaning stock and then frag it and give it to my LFS. They give me $10 per frag.
How do you get it to grow slower?

Keith

bheron 04/02/2006 03:03 PM

Keith - I have no idea! When I first put it in it started to stretch to another rock, but then stopped. I'll have to take a picture and compare it. I know it hasnt spread to any other areas. Im thinking maybe b/c i have it at the far end of my tank where the lighting is less?

bheron 04/03/2006 09:38 PM

Okay, here's my torch. Still wont open up. Have it down the bottom of the tank in really low flow..

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/bheron/000_0468.jpg[/IMG]

Thoughts?

bheron 04/03/2006 10:54 PM

Also, heres an update on my water topoff system. No "auto" here, but I plummed some PVC from my RODI resivoir into my sump. I was using clear vinyl tubing which became a pain - have been using that system for the past 3 years, so Im thrilled to have this new one in:

1) First, RODI fills the 18 gallon rubbermaid

2) Then i usually pumped it directly to my sump via a tube. Now, It goes around the perimiter of the room to the sump.

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/bheron/TO_1.jpg[/IMG]

You'll also see a 55g rubbermaid that I can also pump water into for larger WCs.

Here's its going around the back of the room

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/bheron/TO_2.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/bheron/TO_3.jpg[/IMG]

Under the Fuge to the side of the stand..

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/bheron/TO_4.jpg[/IMG]

And then finally into the sump.

[IMG]http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a290/bheron/TO_5.jpg[/IMG]

It works great! Just plug my pump in and in a few seconds its topped off. Will hook the pump up to a switch somehow to make it "a flip of a switch"!

Airman 04/04/2006 12:24 AM

Great job on the photos to explain how your water travels around the room.

bheron 04/04/2006 08:38 AM

thanks! glad it makes sense for others.

fittdog8848 04/04/2006 09:18 AM

Man i wish I could grow chaeto like that. I got a bunk deal on ebay and got two quarter(currency) size chunks for 20 bucks.

After trying t ogrow it using Mark's suggested lights (thanks for the tip Mark) it has grown some but the grape and leafy calurpa have loved the light.

Anyone willing to next day some chaeto to a Montana reefer in need? My chaeto has grown a little but is not near the size of the balls I have seen on this site. I almost have a tennis ball size chunk now but it has been 7 months.

gig 04/04/2006 09:32 AM

Bryan, so you have the RODI going to a 18gal tub, then once that gets full, you pump it to the 55gal tub for storage?

Do you use any kind of float switch for the 18gal tub?

fittdog8848 04/04/2006 10:50 AM

you can see the float switch I believe in the picture.