Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   I got a yellow tang... (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207759)

saltaholic 06/28/2003 11:15 AM

I got a yellow tang...

Recieved a yellow tang yesterday. Yes I have a 55 and please tang police I already heard it in many other threads so save yourself a couple key strokes. I plan on having a 125 in the next year or two.

Anyway, the health of the fish is not the greatest:( Very skinny when arrived. (already looks a little better today) After aclimating it went right to the seaweed selects that I have on a clip, and acted as if the food was gold, can see why. I thought that this was a positive behavior as I am starting to believe that if a fish has good appetite and good water, can probally bounce back. Also has ich, imagine that!!! I can tell that my cleaner already got to him overnight as you really cant see it today. Not very shy as it seems to have more of a interest in me then I do of him when I get nose to nose w/ tank.

I have been wanting this fish from the day I saw it and didnt know a darn thing about sw. Very beatiful and awsome looking under the antics!! I am determined to help this guy become healthy. Comments and advice anyone

Brad Gardner 06/28/2003 11:26 AM

A 55 gallon and a yellow tang? It doesn't take the tang police to say you screwed up???

What you thinking man???

Regards,

Brad

Fish-o-holic 06/28/2003 11:27 AM

Sounds like you are somewhat off to a good start. Just continue feeding the tang nori and maintain excellent water conditions and the tang should bounce back like a champ.

mathman 06/28/2003 11:39 AM

I wouldn't listen to any of the negative comments. I had a yellow tang in a 60 gallon (basically same size as yours) for 3 years and I sold him with the tank. He probably still is fine.

The only thing to keep in mind is make sure he eats a variety of seaweeds. Nori is a fantastic staple, but make sure you supplement with others (reds and browns). This will really boost immune system!

Brad Gardner 06/28/2003 11:46 AM

Why wouldn't you listen to the negative comments? Are you a irresponsible reefkeeper??????

Regards,

Brad

saltaholic 06/28/2003 12:30 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Brad Gardner [/i]
[B]Why wouldn't you listen to the negative comments? Are you a irresponsible reefkeeper??????

Regards,

Brad [/B][/QUOTE]

Like I said earlier it is a waste of key strokes. I am not even going to feed into it as it is probally just to get something started.

My wife really likes this fish to and what she doesnt know, is that it is going to be the excuse for the purchase of a 125 that I want in a year or two

Anyway thanks for the comments to the supportive ones!:) Love this fish, awsome cant get over how bright yellow they are.

[QUOTE]The only thing to keep in mind is make sure he eats a variety of seaweeds. Nori is a fantastic staple, but make sure you supplement with others (reds and browns). [/QUOTE]

I was going to pick some of the brown at lfs but he was out, going to call when comes in.

I will try to post a pic later.

lebowski 06/28/2003 12:48 PM

Amateurs dude, Amateurs:smokin:

3_high_low 06/28/2003 01:39 PM

Salt,

Keep an eye on the NH4, nitrite, and nitrate. These fish grow fast and eat and poop a lot. They do add quite a bit to the bioload. They are quite hardy, I'm sure your's will shape up. But at the same time, it would be unwise to dismiss the commentary of the tang police as poppycock. We should always strive to provide the best environment for our creatures. Start talking to the wife about the 120g soon. Choose the correct momment, timing is everything:D.

saltaholic 06/28/2003 02:08 PM

I dont know if it is because I just seems nemo the other day or what, but you have to really ask yourself the question, is even keeping a damsel in a large tank proper? Only God who created these animals knows just what they need. So for someone to insult me for having too small of a tank for a tang is horse@#$%!!! Especially when you bust your butt to strive for nothing but the best for your inhabitants, because you know that a tank isnt the ideal enviroment. I am aware of the debate I have read many threads.

3_high_low 06/28/2003 02:18 PM

I hear ya. It's a paradox we all face. If we reduce the debate to the absurd then it is true that reef keeping for the hobbyist is unethical in it's entirety. But we reef, so we need to decide where to draw the line for what is acceptable and what is not. My hope is that personal insult is not part of that exchange. I'm sorry if you feel my comments were insulting, that was not my intention.

Have a good day everyone, I gotta go cut the back nine:)

saltaholic 06/28/2003 02:27 PM

I found your comments useful, I was directing my last post to the people that simply say "you are wrong" "you cant do it" but then fail to mention why. Probally cause they dont actually know and they are saying it because thats what they heard.

pan_tsu? 06/28/2003 02:45 PM

Saltaholic, that's exactly it. People like to take the time to spew crap that they read elsewhere. Obviously the biggest tank possible is best for all fish! duh! I have a small yellow tang in my 65 and he's doing great.

People just like to "be cool" and try to tell you where you've gone wrong...because you know....they know all!
I enjoy this board a lot and I learn a lot...but every frickin post has someone that feels you need to know their opinion and how wrong you are.

[QUOTE]Amateurs dude, Amateurs[/QUOTE]

Dude! You're like 13 years old! And, you've been in this hobby 8 measly months! Zip it.

And Brad, yeah, he's irresponsible...that's why he's trying his best to nurse a fish back to good health. He must not care at all about the quality of life of this animal.

Good Lord, find something else to do with your time instead of preaching. The first thing he said was that he knows the debate...

Brad Gardner 06/28/2003 02:50 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by pan_tsu? [/i]
[B]And Brad, yeah, he's irresponsible....[/QUOTE]

Yes he is irrresponsible pan_tsu....

iCam 06/28/2003 02:58 PM

I have a yellow tang in my 58 gal. I really believe his growth is stunted, for he was kept in a very very small space for a long time. For the most part, he *seems* happy in my tank. He is a small yellow tang. Anyways, just thought I'd chime in.

[QUOTE]Dude! You're like 13 years old! And, you've been in this hobby 8 measly months! Zip it.[/QUOTE]

Let me assure you that for the most part, age has nothing to do with anything. I started this hobby two years ago when I was 14. I am glad I found such a great hobby at such a young age. One thing I did not like though is how unsure all of the LFS were of me, just because I was young. More times than not, I was the one telling the LFS the name of a coral, and how to care for it. I agree, the youth can mess up qite a bit. But then again, I have seen adults come into the LFS wanting 10 new corals for their 2 week old tank with no lighting .

Brad Gardner 06/28/2003 03:03 PM

Yes, your irrresponsible nihonjin_anemone.

iCam 06/28/2003 03:10 PM

Do you mean "Yes, [COLOR=orangered]you're[/COLOR] irresponsible nihonjin_anemone? :D I guess I am irresponsible, and you, illiterate.

saltaholic 06/28/2003 03:18 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Brad Gardner [/i]
[B]Yes, your irrresponsible nihonjin_anemone. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think this guy is just a...

iCam 06/28/2003 03:22 PM

Me or brad? :confused:

Rock Anemone 06/28/2003 03:22 PM

I agree with everything 3_high_low said. You'll be fine, just keep an eye on the tank etc. I would start planning the 120 ahead of time. However, I wouldn't purchase an unhealthy fish in fear it could affect my tank. However, I noticed a lot of people do this and get the fish back in shape, those are caring reefers. Hope he gets back in shape! Keep us updated!

I'm seeing a lot of negative comments in this thread. if you're not going to provide constructive posts which follow the main topic, please don't post at all.

pan_tsu?, age has nothing to do with it. Heck, I'm only 15.

Brad Gardner, I happen to talk to Cameron "nihonjin_anemone" a lot and find that he is not irresponsible in any way.

[QUOTE]that's why he's trying his best to nurse a fish back to good health. He must not care at all about the quality of life of this animal.[/QUOTE]
If he's trying his hardest to ensure the best for the fish, how does he not care about the life of the animal? He already mentioned the fish is getting better every day, he's doing something right.

Look at 3_high_low's replies, very constructive and right to the point. It's on topic as well.

Come on people, lets contribute a little more to the thread.

Rock Anemone

Brad Gardner 06/28/2003 03:30 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by nihonjin_anemone [/i]
[B]Do you mean "Yes, [COLOR=orangered]you're[/COLOR] irresponsible nihonjin_anemone? :D I guess I am irresponsible, and you, illiterate. [/B][/QUOTE]
Just Irresponsible...not iiterate..but it's your call nihonjin???

iCam 06/28/2003 03:33 PM

What aspect of my reefkeeping makes me irresponsible exactly?

Brad Gardner 06/28/2003 03:39 PM

I don't know....do you have any Tangs in your little glass boxes????????????????

Regards,

Brad Gardner

iCam 06/28/2003 03:41 PM

Well, it's either my "little glass box", or a little 5 gallon at the lfs.

Rob Schwartz 06/28/2003 03:48 PM

While I rarely reply to these types of threads...

Nihonjin, you do not sound like an irresponsible reef keeper at all. I applaud you and Rock Anemone who have written some great posts here on RC. I did not even realise that Rock was that young, and by the way, I have followed some of your great advice! I only wish I started in this hobby as a student so that I could have gotten it into my school as a community project!

I would say though that it might not make sense to respond to Brad's taunting, why keep that going?

I, like many others prefer not to have a tang in a smaller aquarium, but you guys seem to know what you are doing, Salt, keep working on that guy, get him healthy like a great aquarist should do, and work on your 120gal!

To your original question, it sounds like you already have things in hand, one suggestion I might make is to add some food soaked in crushed garlic every second day or so. Not only does this stimulate appetite, but it is also said to keep ich at bay and enhance the colors of your fish. I have been doing this for over 6 months now and I have yet to have had any new ich in the tank, and I notice that my clowns, and Flame Hawk are incredibly vibrant.

Best,

Rob

iCam 06/28/2003 03:51 PM

Rob Schwartz, Thank you on behalf of me and Rock_Anemone. He just went offline, but I know he'd say the same.:)