Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Discussion (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   You owe this to yourself and your tank. (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1291319)

bonerfortuna 01/11/2008 08:11 AM

You owe this to yourself and your tank.

I was recently looking for some of those pesty snails as one of my zoo colonies looked aggravated. Even up close I was having trouble getting a good look. I went and got a pair of those 1.75 magnifying reading glasses that you can get just about anywhere and WOW is all I can say. Imaging watching your entire tank as if it were a macro photo. Thats what you will get. Things take on a totally different look and things you didnt know even existed will show . Do it and I promiss you wont regret it. I keep the glasses right by the tank now, I bet you will too.

samtheman 01/11/2008 08:30 AM

I use binoculars, and look through the big ends.

JennyL 01/11/2008 10:17 AM

Re: You owe this to yourself and your tank.

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11573477#post11573477 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bonerfortuna [/i]
[B]I was recently looking for some of those pesty snails as one of my zoo colonies looked aggravated. Even up close I was having trouble getting a good look. I went and got a pair of those 1.75 magnifying reading glasses that you can get just about anywhere and WOW is all I can say. Imaging watching your entire tank as if it were a macro photo. Thats what you will get. Things take on a totally different look and things you didnt know even existed will show . Do it and I promiss you wont regret it. I keep the glasses right by the tank now, I bet you will too. [/B][/QUOTE]

What a great suggestion Peter and very inexpensive. I have always used a good magnifying glass .

Thanks for sharing . :)

ahullsb 01/11/2008 03:18 PM

I may try that myself. I haven't had a magnifying glass in years anyway. How about a monocle? :)

vikubz 01/11/2008 08:50 PM

I have a 7X loupe that I use for coins. Makes a spirorbid worm look pretty cool, and a munnid isopod looks like a real bruiser.

Finding Emo 01/11/2008 09:01 PM

Great idea! I'm gonna go find some magnifying device and look at stuff!

vikubz 01/11/2008 09:04 PM

When I would tell my GF about stuff on the LR and other critters running around she would kinda smile and nod. Then one day she took a look with a magnifying glass. Her glasses didn't work well looking through the tank's glass, but once she got a real look at things, she was all about LR watching.

Ephraim 01/11/2008 09:39 PM

i have one of those sheet ones for reading the news paper. Makes me think my corals are bigger.

Sheol 01/11/2008 09:49 PM

Neat Idea! I never even thought about it. I'm definitely going to give this a whirl. If I can find the magnifying glass. Or buy a good one. Thanks!

Matthew

tinmanny 01/11/2008 09:58 PM

mag glass

when you look through them you see the tank in a whole new light and all the little people get noticed
what a view
Manny
Magnify Magnify Magnify for thr sight of it

jennmac415 01/11/2008 10:12 PM

absolutely... a magnifying glass should be on every reefers equipment list... amazing things to see that we can not see with the naked eye...

ManotheSea 01/11/2008 10:18 PM

Great Idea. So simple

jade76 01/11/2008 11:29 PM

best idea since sliced bread.

Salamander 01/11/2008 11:44 PM

Some friends of mine use jeweler glasses that your wear kinda like goggles and work great. You look a little funny but the fish don't mind.

jennmac415 01/11/2008 11:46 PM

When I set up my first tank in 2004, a 29 gallon,that is one of the first things I began doing.. while my rock cycled...I searched with my magnifying glass always looking for life... it is unbelievable all the things you can see... and 4 years later, I have a 180 gallon and I am still using my magnifying glass