Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Middle Tennessee Reef Club (MTRC) (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=286)
-   -   Does the club have a par meter? (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1290193)

rsteagall 01/09/2008 08:29 PM

Does the club have a par meter?

I seem to remember some talk about the club buying a PAR meter for members to use. Was this ever done?

If so, I need to test my lights above my 58gal tank on my single 250W MH. I never did buy an electronic ballast and it seems awefully dim for about a 9 month old bulb. I wonder if its the bulb or magnetic ballast that is making it seem this way.

rcmike 01/09/2008 08:34 PM

They did. I was in the waiting line for it but never heard anything else about it. Gary had it last I knew and they were talking about making a bracket to hang it at different depths.

eyebedam 01/09/2008 08:37 PM

I was in line to Im sure somebodies got.

crumbletop 01/09/2008 08:38 PM

I've got it. I'll bring it to the swap. We should probably restart the line :p

rcmike 01/09/2008 08:42 PM

Edit, Just saw where you posted. :) I did find the original list if you wanted to go by it. [url]http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1033510&highlight=par[/url]

crumbletop 01/09/2008 09:00 PM

OK -- so it looks like it goes to DMBillies next, then to you, then wayne, then ...

rsteagall 01/09/2008 09:17 PM

Nevermind.... jeez. :( The thing is almost a year old and no one's used it yet.

Since so many people NEED it, I vote the club buys 1-2 more.

[SIZE=4]Can I get a 2nd?![/SIZE]

rcmike 01/09/2008 09:25 PM

I wouldn't be against letting Ryan useing it first since he is having problems. I'm obviously not in a hurry or I would have spoken up. :)

rsteagall 01/09/2008 09:36 PM

Thanks, but no worries. My eye's are probably telling me what I need to know. With or without a par meter... I still wouldn't know if it was the bulb or the ballast.

crumbletop 01/09/2008 09:44 PM

Wooglin had a recent post about magnetic ballasts and some maintenance you can do on them.

RE the meter, It's fine with me if you use it next.

rsteagall 01/09/2008 10:36 PM

I'm glad my crying, *****ing, moaning, and groaning worked. :P Just kidding. I've got some equipment to install in Mt. Juliet as early as Friday or as late as next Monday/Tuesday. If it works out maybe we can have that lunch at Boscos or Blackstone one of those days that way I can get it back to whoever it needs to go to next at the swap?

I saw wooglin's post... but its kind of an expensive procedure considering electronic ballasts are $100 these days. I might need to jump in on that reefgeek order for this, but I hate to keep spending $ on something that HOPEFULLY will be replaced in the next month or so.

waynesworld 01/09/2008 10:39 PM

Ya I need new bulbs now anyway so go ahead and take my spot I want to get it when I get new bulbs and test the difference. I would say we do not need a second one since we never used this one we just need to set up a way too keep it rolling around.

eyebedam 01/09/2008 10:42 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11563142#post11563142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rsteagall [/i]
[B]I'm glad my crying, *****ing, moaning, and groaning worked. :P Just kidding. I've got some equipment to install in Mt. Juliet as early as Friday or as late as next Monday/Tuesday. If it works out maybe we can have that lunch at Boscos or Blackstone one of those days that way I can get it back to whoever it needs to go to next at the swap? [/B][/QUOTE]
if your gonna be put this way we might as well to to the sports bar and chill. You can test the par on my lights since your being a whiny baby.

rsteagall 01/09/2008 10:42 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11563166#post11563166 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waynesworld [/i]
[B]Ya I need new bulbs now anyway so go ahead and take my spot I want to get it when I get new bulbs and test the difference. I would say we do not need a second one since we never used this one we just need to set up a way too keep it rolling around. [/B][/QUOTE]

We live close enough to each other that we could pass it back and forth over a day's time. Also... I was kidding about a second one. :D I was being an extremist.

norwall 01/09/2008 10:55 PM

Re: Does the club have a par meter?

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11562033#post11562033 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rsteagall [/i]
[B]I seem to remember some talk about the club buying a PAR meter for members to use. Was this ever done?

If so, I need to test my lights above my 58gal tank on my single 250W MH. I never did buy an electronic ballast and it seems awefully dim for about a 9 month old bulb. I wonder if its the bulb or magnetic ballast that is making it seem this way. [/B][/QUOTE] I've got two 250 watt HQI over my 50 gallon and with only one on, it looks dim, with both on, its really bright! Magnetic ballasts too. On your 58 you could easily do two pendants!