Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   New to the Hobby (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104)
-   -   what saltwater trace elements do you all use (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1289188)

malawi 01/08/2008 04:44 PM

what saltwater trace elements do you all use

reef plus?reef trace?Purple up?kent marine etc etc;which one work real good?peace:)

a2fire2i 01/08/2008 04:54 PM

water changes will replace all but CA, ALK, and MG..

Sk8r 01/08/2008 04:56 PM

Avoid those. Never dose what you don't have a test for...and the tests for those only come into play in very old reefs or unusual circumstances.

Your salt mix [I use Oceanic] contains all those trace elements already. Standard practice of changing out 10 % of your tank volume weekly will replace all those trace elements AND give you a good balance of calcium, magnesium and a good alkalinity, which are the 3 elements to worry about.

I note you're a year old in a 65 reef. Consider dripping kalk, which will free you from dosing even calcium and buffer, make the supplement job about a once a week affair, and all else you have to worry about is your magnesium level [if it's 3x where you want your calcium to ride steady, it will hold both your calcium and alk in balance. With kalk as topoff [just adding pickling lime to your topoff water, basically] and magnesium steady-on, your tank will thrive and corals will grow.
The traces in your salt mix are so very tiny to achieve balance in a 65 that the fineness of the measurements would be SO subject to error it would be scary. Those water changes are your very best way to go.

atvdave 01/08/2008 05:08 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11551931#post11551931 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by a2fire2i [/i]
[B]water changes will replace all but CA, ALK, and MG.. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with this statement.

rkelman 01/08/2008 06:00 PM

I don't use any of that stuff.. Not needed..

Alexdj 01/08/2008 06:34 PM

I think you should only use calkwasser (calcium) once a week , the rest comes with every parcial change of the new salt. of course if you calcium levels are fine without the calkwasser then you are fine, if you see low calcium then suplement thing only this will be fine. If go for it do it at night on the sump not directly to the main tank ...

mg426 01/08/2008 06:42 PM

Water changes here. The only additives thaT go in my system are CA/ALK and the occasional Mag dosing.

seapug 01/08/2008 06:58 PM

My summer project is going to be to set up a tank and buy every bottled food and trace element supplement I can find and dose it according to manufacturer's instructions. I'll document the entire thing here on RC so we can see what a cesspool I create. It'll be a blast.

Sk8r 01/08/2008 07:00 PM

Oh, seapug, that's gruesome.
It might even explode. Talk to Boomer if you have problems.! :)

Mavrk 01/08/2008 07:26 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11552851#post11552851 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seapug [/i]
[B]My summer project is going to be to set up a tank and buy every bottled food and trace element supplement I can find and dose it according to manufacturer's instructions. I'll document the entire thing here on RC so we can see what a cesspool I create. It'll be a blast. [/B][/QUOTE]

Excellent!