Reef Central Online Community Archives

Reef Central Online Community Archives (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reef Fishes (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   How hardy are hippo tangs (https://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1284022)

happyface888 01/02/2008 02:14 AM

How hardy are hippo tangs

My friend plans on getting one they are. for his 100g. I was wondering just how hardy these guys are? He's eyeing a small 1inch hippo. and I'd like to know how hardy

tmz 01/02/2008 02:36 AM

They can be prone to ich and other issues. Some refer to them as ich magnets.
Be sure to pick one out that is eating well and swimming well. Be sure it has been in the lfs for at least a couple of weeks. Then when you get it home be prepared to quarantine it for at least 4 weeks so you can treat it if ich velvet etc occurs.
You also want to be sure that you have good solid quarantine protocols for all fish entering the tank since if ich comes in your Hippo will get it.
I have one that started out as a 1 inch fish about five years ago and is thriving at about 6inches now,beautiful fish. They do have a high mortality from shipping and parasites and other things but once you settle them in, they can live a long time.Feed it well and provide a clip of dried seaweed every other day or every day along with meaty fare.

wegotcrabs 01/02/2008 11:34 AM

TMZ couldnt have said it better- If you start with a healthy fish and take those precautions you should be fine. Good luck-

LisaD 01/02/2008 11:54 AM

I agree with the above posts, with one additional comment. A slightly larger fish (2-3") will be more likely to survive. Sometimes the tiny ones make it, other times they die without apparent cause...

Sk8r 01/02/2008 11:55 AM

A 100 g is too small, really. They reach eighteen inches in size.

sasscuba 01/02/2008 12:01 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11504076#post11504076 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r [/i]
[B]A 100 g is too small, really. They reach eighteen inches in size. [/B][/QUOTE]

Where on earth did you hear that? 12 inches is what most sites say and while diving I have never seen one bigger than 10-12. 18 is huge!:eek1:

Sk8r 01/02/2008 12:04 PM

Thank you for checking me on that. I doublechecked and I'm wrong, and you're right. 12". So if your tank can handle running room for a 12" fish, [some 100's can] that's good.

JamesJR 01/02/2008 12:13 PM

even 12 inches is pretty big for them. 11 is much more common. a 100 gallon should be fine for a blue tang for a long time. Most tangs mature quickly and get 60-70% of their growth in the first 2 years or less and then their growth slows down tremendously.

tmz 01/02/2008 02:37 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11504076#post11504076 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sk8r [/i]
[B]A 100 g is too small, really. They reach eighteen inches in size. [/B][/QUOTE] Not to quibble but facts are facts. According to Scott Michaels in"Marine Fishes" Paracanthurus hepatus reach a maximum length of 12.2 inches not 18inches. The minimum recommended tank size is 100gallons.:)

MoonTang 01/02/2008 05:33 PM

ok guys back on track.

I find them very easy to raise i have had mine for 2 years now and my friend had his for 4 years now.

Just pick one thats eating at the store and pick one thats around 3"-4". Any smaller will be very hard to raise especially the one's around 1". Like all tangs they should be put in a QT for a few weeks. 100G i think will be fine. In a aquarium they will rarely grow to 12".

thor32766 01/02/2008 07:27 PM

yes these guys are ich tangs for sure. Once they are establised they are hardy fish. Its the start of the begining thats the hardest. They will battle ich continuosly. But if they are eating readily they fight it off pretty well.

snommisbor 01/02/2008 09:15 PM

Mine had a little ich for about 2 months when I first got him, but I kept him feed, also fed cut pieces of garlic and use a uv sterilizer. Had him for almost a year now and has been clear ever since.

yoboyjdizz 01/02/2008 10:30 PM

[QUOTE][i]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11507302#post11507302 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thor32766 [/i]
[B]Once they are establised they are hardy fish. Its the start of the begining thats the hardest. They will battle ich continuosly. . [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree they are hardy but become stressed very easily. IME some form of garlic, selcon and vita-chem added to their foods goes along way. I also agree that a 100 is on the small side for a hippo tang. Giving the proper care and diet they do grow large an fast. I got mine around an inch and in little over a year its a good 6inches or so.

hybridgenius 01/03/2008 03:40 AM

I'll ANSWER your question... they ARENT hardy lol. Hardy to me would be a lionfish, damsel, or clown etc. Tangs are considered delicate fish because they are prone to diseases. The tang will be ok in 100gal as stated above and MAKE SURE its healthy because I have yet to see a healthy one at a LFS for quite some time now.

LisaD 01/03/2008 09:57 AM

I think there ARE very hardy tangs, like kole, yellow or mimic tangs. Then there are *not* hardy tangs, like powder blue or achilles. I'd put hippos in the moderate category - not the hardiest, but not super delicate either. getting them established and healthy early on is key. you do need to keep them in good quality water, in a tank that is big enough, with an appropriate diet and no bully tankmates. but that should go for every fish, even the most hardy.

snommisbor 01/03/2008 10:58 AM

I agree with LisaD

Put it this way. I had a Kole and a Regal, water params were good. Kole died Regal still swimming and growing. So a lot can just be the particular fish you get. I try to always pick the fattest most active fish with clear eyes. If I see a cool fish but it doesnt meet those criteria then I move on.